Untold hours of labour and love go into the fantastic entries for campaigns such as South West in Bloom. But there are also some key points to be aware of when preparing for any garden competition which will give you that all important edge over the others.
Some judging tips:
– Its important to make a good impression; the judge has limited time
– Shrubs and hedges should neatly clipped and any dead plants, flowers or leaves removed
– Plants should look healthy. There should be no disease or insect infestation
– Garden design is important, and includes layout, use of colour, line, form, texture and plants
– Beds should be well mulched with material that doesn’t look as though it was put down the day before judging
– Try to have a clear theme for the garden and stick to it
– Lawns should be healthy, weed free and nicely edged
– Resist the urge to put in an instant garden or planted garden. It will be obvious to a competent judge.
We are delighted to welcome Richard as one of our judges for #ILoveMyDevon Garden 2022. Here’s a bit more about him.
I have worked in the horticultural industry for forty six years years, forty two of which have been spent working in local government. In local government I came up through the ranks from gardener with Birmingham City Council to becoming Leisure Community Development Manager at Torbay Council where I worked for fifteen years until I retired in 2015. At Torbay I was responsible for parks, allotments, sports fields, play areas, funding and park friends groups.
I have been a South West in Bloom judge for over fifteen years and am also the Devon coordinator for the Royal Horticultural Society’s ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood” award, entries which are managed by South West in Bloom.
In my home town of Bovey Tracey I lead the South West in Bloom entry. I also manage South West in Bloom’s Best Parks competition.
For over twenty years I was a Green Flag judge for Keep Britain Tidy, judging parks, nature reserves and community projects in the South West.
For all the details of our #ILoveMyDevonGarden charity campaign click here
Our FREE TO ENTER photo campaign #ILoveMyDevonGarden 2022, raising money to help disabled people in Devon enjoy the great outdoors, has just finished. Want to find out more? Follow the link below:
The Old Stable